Register and Pay online or at the door.
19 Openings for the dance.
Contra Dance Event
Saturday, September 28 from 7:00 to 9:30 pm ($7.00 fee required)
We have 19 openings for the dance.
Folklore Society of Greater Washington Explains Contra Dance
What is Contra Dance??
Contra dance is a uniquely American mix of English, Scottish and French country folk dance that dates as far back as the 1700s. It is set to live music and consists of various steps given by a “Caller”. It is similar to square dance in that the steps involve a room full of people moving in circles and lines and turns. It differs from square dance in the simplicity of the called steps and ease of joining. The steps use pairs of dancers moving among other pairs of dancers, but Contra Dance does not need you to come as a couple. You can find a partner once you arrive. If you are new to Contra Dance you will learn more quickly by choosing an experienced partner.
Contra Dance at the Hayner
The Troy-Hayner Cultural Center will be holding its’ first-ever Contra Dance event this September. The caller for this special dance will be Kathy Anderson. Kathy is well-known in this half of the country as an expert, award-winning caller and promoter of Contra Dance. 9 Mile Creek will be providing that unique dance-step rhythm. This 10+ piece band can boast of hammered and lap dulcimers, fiddle and Bodhran, stand-up base, guitar and autoharp. This event is the dream and vision of the fiddle player, John Francis.
What do I need to know about Contra Dance??
• Wear soft soled shoes. This will preserve our beautiful ballroom floor and help you with your steps. Hard soled shoes will not be permitted.
• You can come to Contra Dance solo and find a partner once you get here. Even if you come with a friend, you may be matched to a more experienced partner.
• Anyone can! Contra Dance steps are walking steps. There are no running or jumping steps. Children over age 8 often enjoy Contra Dance. Bring your child to a free workshop and let them try it out. Bring your Mom and Dad too! It is a gentle but vigorous cardio workout.
• Workshops are free. Please come to one or more workshops and the dance event will be more fun!
• The September 28 Contra Dance Event requires pre-registration. Our event will be full at about 60 dancers. Don't be disappointed, register early! Register and pay online (See button below) or with a check. Send your name, phone, email and your check to Contra Dance at Troy-Hayner Cultural Center; 301 W. Main St.; Troy, Ohio 45373 To the attention of Terrilynn. You will receive a confirmation of your mailed in registration via email.